Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Haiku Translated

Using symbols from their everyday lives, the YAP writers translated traditional haiku into new work. Some follow the 5-7-5 form, others deviate in favor of mood or tone, but all rely on concise language and vivid images. Inspired by the likes of Basho, Busson, and Issa, here are some of the works that came out of today's class:

Little Timmy running around.
Brown stuff on hands—
poop or chocolate?
~ Jenomi

My breath stains the glass
as I look upon the cold
tormenting the land.
~ Madison

The wind is rushing,
water spraying my face.
The race is on.
~ Sarah

I eat my Cheezits.
Are they naturally orange?
Eat them anyway.
~ Logan

Year after year
thicker lenses. Still
can’t see where I’m going.
~ Stephanie

This is not an exit.
Where does the door lead?
Do you dare try?
~ Heather

I read a book.
Didn’t like it,
gave it away.
~ Jenomi

DO NOT CROSS IT OUT.
Don’t think – Don’t get logical.
Hit the jugular.
~ Logan

Black dog in pursuit.
White gravestones flash by
as it
hunts the ball once more.
~ Simone

Silence does
what silence does,
but how will we ever tell?
~ Emma

A sweet dog
spinning ‘round and ‘round
never tiring.
~ Sarah

Ballet slippers
held in her hand –
what next?
~ Emma

He watches Supersize Me.
Goes out to eat.
Gets a supersize meal.
~ Jenomi

Here is the toad by the lake.
Here is the toad by the lake that eats the fly
and swims away.
~ Heather

Voices fill the stage!
My peers sing many praises
while I check my watch.
~ Emma C-M

It is a war of will.
Horse stubborn and strong vs. me,
and I will win.
~ Heather

We scribble with intent
in collaborative fantasy;
Morgan is an orc.
~ Emma C-M

That old swing set there
What do you mean, it’s broken?
It can fly through space.
~ Simone

It’s summer solstice.
There is food on the table
and in his teeth.
~ Raven

No comments:

Post a Comment